Thursday, July 01, 2010

A Healthy Dose of Play

Coming off of a very full spring, a few times, I found myself letting out a big sigh and saying, "I need a vacation!" I also, noticed how my tone became more serious and my body a bit more contracted. My actions also became very precise, rather than spacious, fluid & creative. I had been working 7 days a week for 6 weeks straight. Since the end of winter was quite slow here in Portland, Maine, I felt the need to ride the wave of abundance showering down upon me. However, after a while I found it was time to get off the tread mill because the "all work/no play" lifestyle was not serving me or others.

I began planning my summer & scheduling in more social events. Honestly, I did not care what it was, as long as it got me away from my work/home environment and allowed me to break the work cycle. Now, I feel I have scheduled so much play that I am beginning to mix up days a bit and easily lose track of time.

There are times when we think we may need to focus, especially when we fall behind. However, in my own life, I have seen time and time again that when I take excellent care of myself and live my life with integrity and presence, I am always provided for.

When I have a good dose of play in my daily life, I find that everything flows smoother. Because I am doing what I love to do, I feel lighter and my heart is more open. As a result, I attract more into my life. People want to be around me. All my relationships are healthier & more fulfilling.

Have you forgotten how to play?

After years of carving a place in this world for oneself; creating a viable job, maybe a family, many have forgotten how to play. Here's how I remember...

I feel into what makes me happy everyday. I move toward, and engage in, activities that give me pleasure and health.

Long ago, I noticed that some activities that we associate with pleasure, ultimately do not bring lasting joy, like overuse or misuse of food, alcohol, drugs & sex. A little of any of these can surely enhance a playful experience, but notice if you are overdoing it and instead numbing out a part of your life where you are not living your Truth. I encourage my coaching clients to find healthy ways to play. If drinking a beer or having a dessert makes it that much better, that's fine, as long as you feel better afterwards and not worse.

Children are great teachers for play. Watch them and let them remind you what brings you joy and pleasure. Something I remember, and do my best to recreate as much as possible in my life, is the timelessness of childhood. How can you create opportunities to get lost in your playtime? No cell phone. No time to have to be back to take care of other responsibilities.

We do this at least one day a weekend, where we do not operate on a schedule and just flow with the day, one moment at a time. I often do this with my husband, which can end up creating some scheduling, when we choose to do separate things for our play time. However, we do our best to give each other plenty of time to dive deeply into our alone time play before coming back to each other.

Playing alone helps you to get a true sense of what it is that brings your soul pleasure. We are all very different in this way. Alone time can be a very valuable teacher to guide you back to your Truth. That which brings you bliss. According to my yoga teachings, this is our purpose for being here. If we choose to live a yogic lifestyle, then work is play and play is work. When we find our true calling, our work or service, done in balance and with gratitude, becomes play.

Once you've discovered how you like to play, then you might take it a step further and see how you can blend this play into your work.

Simple Formula for Relearning How to Play:

Create time
Take a moment alone, check in deeply and ask yourself, "What would really be fun to do right now?"
Notice how your body responds to your ideas. Does it contract with obstacles or old messages telling you not to? Does it vibrate with excitement?
Release the obstacles, create new thoughts that are supportive and nurturing and PLAY in the vibration that is exciting, fulfilling and nourishing!
If obstacles come up, like money, time, etc., then be creative and find ways to create a satisfying experience that is within reach. For me, it is as simple as getting on my bike and riding to the beach or calling friends for some recreational time (a walk, dinner out or tea). We also just act goofy as much as possible. All very affordable healthy activities that do not hurt a soul, but instead inspire you and others. Create a satisfying life now and make it a pleasurable experience. Do your best to push away any old messages like "I am too old for that" or "I will look stupid". Honestly, who cares? It's your life. Live it! Why put so much weight into a stranger's opinions of you. Dance on the beach! Hoola hoop! Play music. Create art. Go for it! Have fun! Let me know how it feels.

"May we all shine our light upon others and heal, one authentic, truly joyful smile at a time." ~Prana

The Dance New England Dance Community provides many opportunities for healthy play. It's not all about dance either. Visit www.dne.org for more info and events near you. We'll be at Dance Camp Aug. 20 and 21st, and possibly a few days before and after, sharing Therapeutic Yoga and giving healing sessions. Come play with us!

No comments: